Saturday 9 August 2014

12 Tips For Growing Long, Healthy Hair

12 tips for growing long healthy hair
During my trip to New Zealand I observed a beautiful trend, girls with silky, waist length hair.  I’ve always been fond of long hair but this was longer than I’ve gone before.  At some point my hair seems to get split ends and lose it’s healthy appearance.
I’ve decided that I want to try to grow my hair out longer than I’ve gone before.  I’m not sure if I’ll make it to my waist but I’m going to give it a shot.  If I don’t like it I can always chop it off, right?
I still have an issue with getting split ends but this time I’m going to try some new techniques to hopefully keep my hair looking healthy, longer.  I already have decently long hair, somewhere past the middle of my back, so I probably only have about 5-6 inches to go.  
I’ve never done this before so I’m not sure how it will go but here are some of the techniques I’m experimenting with.  They seem to be working so far.
12 Tips for Growing Long, Healthy Hair
Condition Well
I go back and forth between different conditioners but I try to use decent name brands like Herbal Essence or L’Orial.  I use the products generously (not excessively) and I’m going to let them sit in my hair longer before I rinse it out so all of the goodness can have a chance to soak in.
Washing With Cold Water
This is something pretty new for me but I’ve read that washing or at least rinsing with cold water instead of hot will close the cuticles and give hair a shiny, more healthy appearance.  I’ve been doing this for the last couple of days and it really seems to be working!
Towel Dry Carefully 
Wet hair can very easily be stretched or broken, more so than dry hair.  I like to towel dry my hair after washing and I used to wrap my hair tightly in a towel, turban style.  I would squeeze it tight to wring out all of the water.  I still like to towel my hair but after learning about the possibility of stretching and damaging my hair I now do it much more gently.
Drying on the “Cold” Setting
Drying your hair with a blow dryer isn’t the greatest for your hair health.  This practice can easily dry out your hair making it more susceptible to breakage.  My hair is very flat and not terribly thick so I really like the body the blow dryer gives me (I also like to use volumizing shampoo).  I knew that heat was the biggest issue with blow drying so I made a compromise, I’ve started drying on the “cold” setting.  Yes, it takes longer but I feel like it’s safer and leaves my hair shinier.
Oil Treatments
There are many options when it come to oil treatments.  Some like to use olive oil, almond oil or vegetable oil but I’ve been liking coconut oil.  You can read about all of the benefits and steps to using coconut oil on your hair here.  I love the shine, the nourishing qualities and the growth stimulation.
Hair Skin & Nail Vitamins 
I like to use hair, skin and nail vitamins to help my hair grow faster.  This really works well for me.  My hair grows twice as fast!  Just make sure the vitamins you choose don’t have any negative side effects.
Brushing With a Pick
Hair is a delicate thing and harsh brushing with a traditional brush can damage it greatly.  I like to use a wide tooth pick to gently comb and detangle my hair.  This has cut down on a lot of breakage for me.
Using Heat Sparingly
I have pretty straight hair after it’s combed and dried so occasionally I like to give myself a new look by adding curls.  Heat from a curling iron can be harsh on hair. The heat can dry out or even burn your hair if you aren’t carful.  I still curl on occasion but I try to do so sparingly, no more than once per week but I like to go longer than that if I can.  When I do curl I try to do it gently and quickly so my hair isn’t exposed to as much heat.  I’ve also been experimenting with more natural curling options like putting damp hair in a bun and letting it dry or just not combing or blow drying my hair (I’v found that I naturally have curl if I don’t brush it out).
Styling and UnStyling Gently
As I mentioned before hair is delicate and needs to be treated gently.  I try to take extra care when styling with hair scrunchies.  Using them can cause breakage especially when you take them out.  I do put my hair up in a ponytail at times but I try to style and take it down with great care.  Bobby pins are much more gentle and I opt for them over a hair tie nine out of ten times.
Message Your Scalp
Gently giving your scalp a daily message has been said to stimulate hair growth.  I’m not too sure if it works but I have tried it.  Just be careful not to be too rough.  Finger tips are better than fingernails for messaging.
Don’t Twirl
Ok, well this is one that I’m not very good at.  Hair twirling is kind of a habit for me I guess.  If you must twirl do so with care.  Don’t stretch your hair or pull pieces out.
Trims
If you are caring for your hair well and using some of the techniques above you probably wont need to trim your hair as often and that’s a good thing.  The point is to grow your hair long.  Sometimes you do need to go in for a trim though.  Split ends do happen even when you are trying to be careful.  Make sure you tell your hair dresser your plan to grow your hair long and that you only want you hair cut to get the split ends off.  Let her know that you want to leave as much length as possible.  That being said sometimes you do have to take a good chunk off if the splitting goes too high up.  The trick is to try to get a trim before the splits get bad so you can take only the minimum off your tress.
Well, that’s about all I can think of.  I’m still experimenting  and waiting to see how far I actually can grow my hair out.  I’m giving it a shot and hoping that by January I’ll be able to see a significant difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

US star Danielle Collins takes shock Miami Open win in emotional farewell season

Danielle Collins enjoyed a fairytale Miami Open this week, winning one of the biggest titles of her career and accomplishing one of her ma...